Access to the winery
The village and the appellation
Châteauneuf du Pape is a quiet village of 2500 people, surrounded by vines and dominated by its château. This is where the famous symphony of 13 grape varieties was composed into Châteauneuf du Pape wines.
Our Château was built by the order of Pope Jean the 12th, and was used as a summer residence for over a century. Badly touched by the religious war in the 16th century, and partly destroyed in the 2nd world war, not much is left. Still standing today are 2 walls, the dungeon, and an underground vaulted room.
This room is still used today for receptions, meetings, and the confraternity of the popes.
While building the Château, the Pope decided to plant vines in the rocky soil that surrounded it. The production remained confidential for a long time, until the 18th century when it began to gain renown. It wasn't until 1929 that Châteauneuf du Pape received its title of appellation d'origine. The appellation d'origine means the winemakers must follow strict rules in the cultivation and production of their wines. And to offer a high quality and internationally renowned wine produced by the 180 wineries in Châteauneuf du Pape.
For more information about Châteauneuf du Pape and its appellation, please visit the website for the house of producers and wine in Châteauneuf du Pape :
Website of "house of producers and wine in Châteauneuf du Pape"